Methanation Farm : autopsy of an unknown renewable process.
Generrally, methanation or anaerobic digestion is defined as the transformation of organic material in a biogas, which is mostly composed of methane (CH4) and carbon dioxide (CO2). Methanation is a natural and biologic phenomenon at the deterioration of the organic material by the bacteria. This latter is possible thanks to the lack of oxygen in the areas where it occurs. Anaerobiosis is the ability to live in the absence of air. Thus, it can be realized in various environments such as lakes, marshes or in the intestines of animals. In France, there are many kind of methanation : treatment of industrial effluents, sludge treatment, treatment of household waste and farm methanation.
Methanation farm is often seen as an additional income for farmers who capitalize on energy produced and sell back its while eliminating waste. These amenities depend most of the time grants because they are unprofitable yet. Beside it, others interests step in consideration for the treatment choice as the storage apparatus valorization of industrial effluents. An other advantage can be the improvement of farm’s manure which are better assimilated by plants especially. Furthermore, the economic benefit is not only in the sector of farmers. The territory’s economics actors take part of it. So, communities can win energy saving and the capacity to master the cost of their waste. Moreover, a lower greenhouse gas rate due to the reduction of waste transport and emissions methane capture.
So, the farmers consideration is :
– Creation of new activities
– Relieve their require heat
– Improvement of farm’s manure
– Valorization of storage equipments
Moreover, the environment interests are :
– Capture of methane (CH4), which is produced naturally during manure storage animal
– Energy recovery of CH4 captured as electricity, heat or biomethane in substitution of other energy producing potential gas
– Substitution of mineral fertilizers whose production is very energy-intensive fossil renewable fertilizers
– To reduce waste’s transport